It’s time for Jamie’s
Annual End of the Year Survey! This is my 2nd year participating and I had so much fun filling this out. It was tough though. I wanted to just repeat the same five books over and over again because I love them! But I didn’t! I think I only repeated a couple and I was pretty impressed with myself. Thanks so much, Jamie, for putting together this awesome survey!
*All graphics below are from Jamie’s blog, The Perpetual Pageturner
. Aren’t they pretty??
Number Of Books You Read: 136
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Contemporary – 44 books. This is insane for me. Seriously insane. I was vehemently against contemporary in 2013 and it was one of my resolutions to read more. Mission accomplished! Don’t worry, fantasy was second with 33.
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
(I know, I cheated…there’s 6…)
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Bone Season
by Samantha Shannon – I was so excited to read this after hearing everybody’s rave reviews, and while I did enjoy it and will continue with the series, I didn’t quite LOVE it if you know what I mean.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
A Mad, Wicked Folly
by Sharon Biggs Waller – This was the first ever historical fiction book I had ever read and I didn’t expect to like it, let alone fall in love and have it in my top 5 books of the year!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
Jennifer L. Armentrout
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Heir of Fire
by Sarah J. Maas – I plan to do a reread of the entire series before book 4 comes out!!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Eleanor & Park
by Rainbow Rowell – I just loved the message sent in this book that it’s okay to be different. Different isn’t bad. It’s just different and taking a risk and befriending somebody that isn’t necessarily “cool” could turn into somebody/something that you will remember for the rest of your life.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
I was so bad this year about marking quotes/writing them down! Fail. Got any good ones for me?
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Don’t Look Back
by Jennifer L. Armentrout – A lot of people said they figured out the plot twist in this one, but I never saw it coming and remember screaming at the book.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Iko and Thorne from Cress
by Marissa Meyer
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Roth from White Hot Kiss
or Seth from the Covenant
series by Jennifer L. Armentrout – don’t make me choose. It’s impossible.
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
One Past Midnight
by Jessica Shirvington – I’m sure this was on a lot of people’s radars, but I didn’t hear too much about it and I absolutely loved it. Will definitely be reading more Jessica Shirvington. (I know you’re super excited, Pam.)
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Eleanor & Park
by Rainbow Rowell – I LOVED this book. And then it ended. And I was not happy with the way it ended. I want MORE!!! (I have heard that she’s writing a “sequel” set like ten years or something like that after the end of the book? Yes, please!!!)
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
These Paper Hearts
– I started following this blog based on Ashley @ Nosegraze’s
recommendation. They do awesome blogger focused blogging tutorials, tips and tricks which have been super helpful to me! If you use blogger, I highly recommend following these ladies!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
by Claire Legrand – One of the longest reviews I’ve ever written because I had so much to say about this book! But I think my review has just the right amount of gushing and detail to sell you on this one. Just saying…
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
!! It was my first time going this year and it was amazing! I got to meet so many awesome bloggers, authors, etc. And of course, I got tons of awesome new books! I definitely want to go again next year.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
When I met JLA (Jennifer L. Armentrout) at BEA and she knew who I was. This is how the conversation went:
JLA: You look familiar. Have I talked to you on Twitter before?
Me: *nervously* Um, yeah. My Twitter name is The Library Canary.
JLA: Oh yeah! I’ve talked to you and seen your blog. So nice to meet you!
Me: *trying to contain my inner fangirl* So nice to meet you as well! I love your books!
I walk away from table. *happy dance* *hyperventilates* *dies*
I also celebrated my one year blogoversary
this year which was pretty awesome. I’m so proud of myself for sticking with it. I still love it every single day.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My post about Frozen
. Mostly where I gush over how much I love the movie.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
. Or perhaps the most dangerous discovery. In case you don’t know, it’s this site where you can get books for really cheap. I bought 9 books on Black Friday for like $44 and 9 books the day after Christmas for like $30. You’re welcome and I’m sorry.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I completed my Goodreads challenge of 125 books, actually surpassing it with a total of 136 books!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Definitely A Court of Thorns and Roses
by Sarah J. Maas. So many people have already read it and can’t stop gushing and I’m dying. I don’t think I’ll make it.
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
I hope to clear out some of my arcs, not request too many, and get to some of the books I have actually purchased and haven’t read.
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
The Return by Jennifer L. Armentrout
So I thought I hadn’t repeated at all and then when I went back and linked everything to my reviews, I realized that I had in fact repeated. Fail. I just can’t help it! Some books deserve to be book pushed and gushed over! Have you done the survey? Leave me a link so I can look at your answers!