Well 2017 is over. I say this every year, but man the year went by fast. I can’t believe it’s already 2018 and time to start another year. 2017 was one of the best years I’ve had to date. A lot of amazing things happened for me in 2017.
- I lost 22 pounds and hit my goal weight that’s been in the back of my mind for about 7 years now
- I ran my first half marathon – and I did it in under 2 hours!
- I ran a total of 5 races all in the fall and PR’ed on almost all of them
- I got into a really good fitness routine and can honestly say I’m in the best shape of my life
- I had lots of visitors: my friend Ana, my mom, my sisters and my Dad and Grandfather
- Phil and I took a 2 week trip to Italy: Venice, Florence and Rome and it was everything I ever dreamed it would be
So as you can see it was a very busy and successful year for me. Let’s hope 2018 is just as good or better!
As for my reading life…
Number of Books Read: 93
Number of Rereads: 28
Genre You Read the Most From: Fantasy
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read in 2017
Haha right. Like I’m going to pick just one. Okay, so excluding rereads:
YA Historical Fiction: Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
YA Fantasy: The Falconer Series by Elizabeth May
Adult Historical Fiction: Empress of Rome Series by Kate Quinn
Science Fiction: Sons of Ares Comics by Pierce Brown
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going to Love More But Didn’t?
Hunted by Meagan Spooner. It’s not that I didn’t like it. I did and I even rated it 4 stars. But I thought I would love it and I just didn’t quite get to that level.
3. Most surprising (in a good or bad way) book you read?
Miss Peregrine’s House for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I was prepared to love this book. Everybody else in the history of life does. But I found it to be really boring. I just felt like nothing really happened the entire book.
4. Book You “Pushed” the Most People to Read (And They Did)?
Probably Red Rising and The Lunar Chronicles. My sister finally read Red Rising and of course, she loved it. And I have a friend at work who I convinced to try The Lunar Chronicles. She’s on Winter right now and is completely hooked. Yay for book pushing!
5. Best Series You Started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
Series: Empress of Rome by Kate Quinn
Sequel: The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May
Series Ender: The Fallen Kingdom by Elizabeth May
Yes, I can put Elizabeth May books for two of these… because they’re all amazing. Duh.
6. Favorite New Author You Discovered in 2017?
Kate Quinn! I can’t wait to read The Alice Network!
7. Best Book From a Genre You Don’t Typically Read/Was Out of Your Comfort Zone?
8. Most Action-Packed/Thrilling/Unputdownable Book of the Year?
Definitely my reread of Red Rising. That series never gets old. I listened to it on audio and just could not press pause.
9. Book You Read in 2017 That You Are Most Likely to Reread Next Year?
10. Favorite Cover of a Book You Read in 2017?
11. Most Memorable Character of 2017?
Vix from the Empress of Rome series. Can you guys tell I loved this series yet? Vix was such a complex character and his character arc is so incredible. I loved watching him grow up and become the man he was.
12. Most Beautifully Written Book Read in 2017?
Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys. This was a reread for me, but it was just as beautiful and heartbreaking the second time around.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2017?
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. This book was incredible and it educated me on an event I knew nothing about. I still can’t believe that this isn’t a commonly known shipwreck. More people died in this shipwreck than on the Titanic, but nobody talks about. Thanks to Ruta for writing about this.
14. Book You Can’t Believe You Waited UNTIL 2017 to Finally Read?
Just One Day by Gayle Forman. Omg I loved this book so much!! It totally gave me wanderlust.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From a Book You Read in 2017?
“I will not be your weakness, Sean Kendrick.” …. “It’s too late for that, Puck.” – Maggie Stiefvater, The Scorpio Races
I love, love, love The Scorpio Races. I will never tire of rereading this book.
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read in 2017?
Longest: Winter by Marissa Meyer at 827 pages. I actually listened to this on audio and it was 23 hours and 30 minutes!
Shortest: Sons of Ares Issue #3 by Pierce Brown at 28 pages.
17. Book That Shocked You the Most
Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake. That ending though.
18. OTP of the Year (you will go down with this ship!)
Aileana & Kiaran from The Falconer series for sure. Kiaran is most definitely a new book boyfriend.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship of the Year
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From an Author You’ve Read Previously
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. This book was just incredible. If you haven’t read it yet, I highly recommend. Bring tissues.
21. Best Book You Read in 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY on a Recommendation from Somebody Else/Peer Pressure?
22. Newest Fictional Crush from a Book You Read in 2017?
See above. Definitely Kiaran from The Falconer series. He is one sexy Fae.
23. Best 2017 Debut You Read?
I read one 2017 debut. Fail. That was Caraval by Stephanie Garber, but honestly, I wasn’t super crazy about it. I did read a 2016 debut though that I really liked. A Shadow Bright & Burning by Jessica Cluess. I really need to get to the second one!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Speaking of… Caraval actually had a pretty cool, sparkling world even though I didn’t really like the book overall.
25. Book That Put a Smile on Your Face/Was the Most FUN to Read?
My reread of Eleanor & Park. This book is just so perfect. Eleanor & Park have the most adorable relationship ever and I will continue to reread their story over and over again.
26. Book That Made You Cry or Nearly Cry in 2017?
27. Hidden Gem of the Year?
Empress of Rome series. Can you tell yet that I really really loved this series?
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Salt to the Sea. The story is just so heartbreaking. And even more heartbreaking knowing that this actually happened.
29. Most Unique Book You Read in 2017?
Tell the Wind and Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan. Loved the dopplegangers and the split cities between light and dark.
30. Book That Made You the Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The Rose Society by Marie Lu. I just couldn’t deal with Adelina. She was so awful and just made me so angry in this book.
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New Favorite Book Blog You Discovered in 2017?
I did a really bad job at blogging and in turn, blog hopping this year… but some awesome new bookstagrammers I discovered are:
Check these wonderful ladies out! They are very talented and all super sweet!
2. Favorite Review That You Wrote in 2017?
Honestly, I kind of got away from reviewing books this year. I think I wrote maybe 5 reviews? I actually failed on blogging completely. But more on that in a post to come.
3. Best Discussion/Non-Review Post You Had on Your Blog?
All of my bookstagram posts are super popular so I’ll go with one of those:
- 3 Reasons No One is Liking Your Bookstagrams
- 6 Reasons You Should Have a Bookstagram
- 5 Mistakes You’re Making on Bookstagram
- Why You Need Later for Bookstagram and How to Get Started
4. Best Event You Participated In?
5. Best Moment of Bookish/Blogging Life in 2017?
Meeting Maggie Stiefvater. She is definitely one of my all-time favorite authors and I feel so lucky that I got to meet her.
6. Most Challenging Thing About Blogging or Your Reading Life This Year?
Finding time to actually read and blog. 2017 was a really busy year for me. I had lots of people visiting, we went on a huge trip to Italy that took forever to plan and I spent a lot more time at the gym than I used to. All good things, but they definitely took me away from reading and blogging. I really want to try to get back into a normal blogging routine in 2018.
7. Most Popular Post This Year on Your Blog
Still holding strong at my bookstagram tips post I wrote in 2016. So happy that this post has helped so many people get started on bookstagram.
8. Post You Wished Got a Little More Love?
Well honestly, I didn’t write very many this year, so I can’t really complain if something didn’t get a lot of love.
9. Best Bookish Discovery?
10. Did You Complete Any Reading Challenges or Goals That You Had Set for Yourself at the Beginning of This Year?
Funny story… I thought I had completed my Goodreads challenge. According to Goodreads, I had. But then when I was looking back at my books to fill this survey out, I realized Goodreads had double counted several books I read this year. So no. I did not complete my challenge. I read 93/100 books this year. I was pretty disappointed with myself. But I kept my goal at 100 for this year because I really think I can make it! Fingers crossed.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get to in 2017, but Will Be Your Number One Priority in 2018?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating for 2018 (non-debut)?
Most definitely Iron Gold by Pierce Brown. It’s almost here!!
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Hmmm… I feel really out of the loop with 2018 releases since I didn’t go to BEA this year…. any I should know about?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff!
5. One Thing You Hope to Accomplish or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life in 2018?
Read and blog more! I really miss blogging and I want to get back into a regular routine. I’m still not sure what that means for me. Maybe once a week or every other week, but I definitely want to focus more on my blog and just getting back to the fun of reading and blogging.
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend to Everyone:
I haven’t read any yet!
Whew! I always forget how long that survey is. Did you do the survey this year? What are some of your 2018 blogging/reading goals?